Sundays are always the best days to indulge in some slow cooking. There’s time to fuss about the kitchen or poke around some coals at leisure, which means more time for giving great food the preparation and cooking time it deserves. This luxury warrants the creation of something special…a slowly simmering potjie perhaps? Or what about indulging in a good ‘ol Sunday roast? We have an easy and delicious recipe that’s the best of both – our Rosemary Pot Roast Chicken Potjie!
- handful fresh rosemary (1/2 for rubbing, 1/2 for adding)
- 2 cloves crushed garilc
- 2 potatoes peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large chicken, affal removed and set aside
- 100g streaky bacon
- 2 sliced onions
- course salt
- black pepper
- teaspoon paprika
- 2T olive oil
- Heat olive oil in potjie pot
- Rub chicken with salt, pepper and rosemary
- Seal the chicken in the hot potjie pot
- Remove chicken, add potatoes, onion, bacon and affal. Fry for 2 minutes
- Add the sealed chicken directly on top of the added ingredients, breast side down. Place lid on potjie pot
- Cook for 50 – 55 minutes with lid on, do not stir
- Cook for 15 minutes with lid removed
Because the chicken is sealed and is then cooked in it’s own juices, the meat is unbelievably juicy, tender and full of flavour. Try it out and let us know what you think.
Comments are closed.